Friday, November 12, 2010

'I don't have any baggage, that can be an advantage'

The prize has taken a long time coming and when it did, there was more than an element of surprise. Since the Adarsh housing scam broke out, a new CM in Mumbai has looked imminent. With several satraps ruled out, hit by their association with the scandal, MoS in PMO Prithviraj Chavan, 64, came to fit the bill for his clean image. TOI spoke to Chavan shortly before he left for Mumbai. 

When were you informed that you would be the next CM of Maharashtra? 
I met the Congress president in the morning. Pranab Mukherjee also spoke to me. I later met the Prime Minister, expressed my gratitude for the support and affection he has shown me and handed in my resignation letter as central minister. It's the decision of the high command.

What are your immediate tasks? 
I will first meet all our party workers and leaders in the state. I will do that on reaching Mumbai. I will try and take everyone along and work to convince all the naysayers, the sceptics that we can do something good for Maharashtra; that this is a shared goal and that I believed in the future of Maharashtra. This may be more important than spelling out specific priorities.

Will your experience at the Centre help you in your new job? 
It should. The Prime Minister had entrusted some important work to me. So had the party. Dealing with difficult issues up close is educative. The work that had to be done in working out a consensus on the nuclear liability bill was one such lesson. Politics is often about being patient and avoiding confrontation.

Will lack of state-level experience be a disadvantage? 
Yes, I have not worked at the state level. But I am not unfamiliar with state issues or what has been happening there for a while. I don't have any baggage. Maybe my lack of baggage will work to my advantage. Not having any particular affiliations can help me arrive at correct decisions.

Maharashtra has slipped in recent years and is not seen as such a hot destination... 
This had been due to several factors. Investment is coming in, but much of it concentrated in the metros. We need to pay more attention to rural areas where a lot of work is needed. My priority is to work to deliver a transparent and efficient administration.

What would you say about the circumstances (Adarsh scandal) that made you CM? 
Some mistakes have happened after which the high command has taken certain decisions. We will see what the probe says when the report is ready. Now I look forward to working with Ajit Pawar and doing a good job for the state.

While you have to work with NCP, Congress also has a desire to grow on its own. It's a tricky situation, especially for a person like you who is seen to be opposed to Sharad Pawar? 
We have been in coalition (with NCP) since 1999. So we can work together. Each party, including Congress, has a legitimate right to grow on its own. This is natural and there is no contradiction. (On Pawar) It is not right...there is nothing personal.

Will you choose to go the council route or prefer direct election? 
I am not sure as yet.

Given Maharashtra's size, rising crime and terrorism often targeting Mumbai, how important is law and order? 
It is very important. This is an area that needs attention and the government will not be lacking in this respect
.

No comments:

Post a Comment